Friday, September 19, 2014

Project Week 3: Character Rigging

First off: I am a week behind at this point. Rigging is very, very difficult, and takes a REALLY LONG TIME. I'm still not even done, but I'll elaborate on that later on.

Rigging is, in a nutshell, the process of creating a manipulable skeletal system and control system, and then attaching that skeleton and system to the model. Creating the actual skeleton is as simple as tracing the outline of a skeleton (foot, ankle, knee, hips, spine, clavicle, shoulder, elbow, wrist, fingers, and neck are my major joints) with the Joint tool, and creating IK handles which make the skeleton move realistically when certain joints are moved (for example, the knees bend when you duck the hips down).

Creating the control panel is much more difficult. Using constraints to make joints move and rotate or track NURBS curves is basically all that you're doing, but keeping a clean hierarchy can be a puzzle at times. I used position constraints for things that would move like the feet and hips, orient constraints for things that would rotate like spine joints and wrists, and pole vector constraints for things that would bend in unique ways, like elbows and knees.

Attaching the skeleton and control panel to the skin is similarly difficult. Using the Smooth Bind tool, Maya will do a basic (read: pretty awful) job of making the model move with the skeleton. After smooth skinning it, you have to check the influence certain joints have on different areas of the skin, to make sure that joints aren't moving more than they should be (so that your chest doesn't cave in when you push the elbow closer to the body). Painting the skin weights manually takes FOREVER, so I am currently attempting to find a plug-in to assist with the process. (I'll include a link to the plug-in if I find one in an edit.)

So, here are the results of my labor:

Skeleton and control panel with transparent model

Skeleton and control panel sans model

I don't think wrists bend that way

DEAR GOD MAN GET THAT LOOKED AT
As you can see, I'm not entirely done yet. There's still some things to clean up, like overlapping wrist skin and that gaping crater in his chest that happens when he leans back. But that will all be allayed at a later date when I'm polishing, the brunt of the work is mostly over. Now, I get to begin shading the model. Given how I am horrendously backed up, I will work tirelessly over the weekend to catch up, and will attempt to get the next post up by next Wednesday.

Wish me luck. I will sincerely need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment