Monday, September 8, 2014

Project Week 2: Character Modeling

So I kind of sort of missed updating the blog last Friday because I was working until 5 o' clock on finishing Kopf's (which is his name, I have now decided) clothing. I apologize for the delay, but character modeling takes A REALLY LONG TIME, especially if you only have a cursory knowledge over the matter.

In a nutshell, all I did was extrude and match vertices and faces into the reference images from an initial polygon plane, and then fine tuned from there (AND THIS TAKES FOREVER). I used the Insert Edge Loop and Multi-Cut tools to create topography to add more edges and vertices to modify in greater detail. I created a separate head and body and connected their vertices with the Merge Vertex tool to create a neck (same thing with the hands/wrist). To create clothing, I just duplicated the body, deleted faces I didn't need, and used the Sculpt Geometry tool to pull the faces outward to create the different articles of clothing. Here are a few renders of the initial pieces, and one of them compiled.
The body
The head
The hand, after connection to wrist
Entire body, smoothed and connected

Body with clothes (the shaders are pretty sketchy at this point)
Again, sorry for the delay. But I overestimated my ability to actually be good at using Maya.

No comments:

Post a Comment